Olympus Enipeas Ag. Dionisios
The Holy Patriarchal and Stavropigial Monastery of Saint Dionysios of Olympus is the most important Monastery in the prefecture of Pieria. It is located in Olympus, at an altitude of 900m. in a forested location between two streams and 18 km from Litochoro.
The Old Monastery was founded in the 16th century by Saint Dionysios in Olympus and in the years of the Ottoman domination it has witnessed economic and spiritual prosperity. After 1821 he was captured by the Turkish army, burnt down and plundered. In 1943 it was blown up by the Nazis because Greek guerrillas were hiding in its buildings. Since then he has moved to Metohi, near Litochoro. Until 1928, the Monastery was a Stavropigiakos, Patriarchal under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical throne. In 1928 he was placed in the New Countries.
Today he develops spiritual and charitable activity, with all-day confessions and spiritual teachings every Sunday morning after the end of the Divine Liturgy, as well as dialogues, conferences and overnight vigils. It celebrates on January 23, which is also the day of St. Dionysiosʼ memory. Also, on September 14th, the local feast of the Cross will take place at the Old Monastery of Agios Dionysios.